When should I work with FWA?

Fare Well Associates' advance planning services are an excellent investment for any individual or family, regardless of age, current health status, or wealth.  

Clients often embark on the pre-planning process after receiving a life-altering diagnosis or experiencing a change in marital, employment, or family status.  

For those navigating a recent loss, we can begin helping as soon as a Death Certificate has been issued.

How is this different from working with an estate planning or probate attorney?  Can I hire FWA instead of an attorney?

Estate Planning and Probate Attorneys provide legal expertise to create key documents and work through the court system, but much of the day-to-day work of settling an estate falls to individual executors.  We fill in the gap to help executors stay organized and complete key tasks on their behalf, but we do not offer legal advice and require our clients to seek counsel from attorney when necessary.

What needs to be done after a loved one dies?

Each individual and family will face a different set of circumstances.  A set of adult siblings who have lost a parent will navigate different challenges than a recent widow or widower who shared a home with the deceased.   In general, you can expect the following:

We see each after-loss engagement as a unique project, and will develop a customized, living project plan to help you stay on track as you wrap up your loved one's affairs.  

How can I get my affairs in order ahead of time to make things easier for my family?

Thinking about end-of-life planning can be uncomfortable and intimidating, but a few simple actions can make a huge difference.  To start, we recommend the following:

Above all, communicating openly and clearly with your loved ones is the biggest gift you can give them before you die.  

Do you work with clients outside of North Carolina?

Yes!  Advance Planning and After-Loss Coaching services can be offered virtually across the United States.  For full-service/after-loss proxy services, the decedent's primary residence at the time of death must be within the greater Raleigh-Durham area.